by Tom Reilly
The meridian that runs from the South Pole to the North Pole is True North. True North is necessary for accurate navigation. Unlike Magnetic North, it is fixed. Straight-line navigation to a fixed point is the perfect metaphor for what guides you in life. Your guiding principles are your True North. These unyielding principles keep you on course. These non-negotiable principles are literally what you give your life for. Value-Added Selling is built on these ten unwavering principles. They form the True North for value-added salespeople:
- The purpose of a business is to create value.
- Buyers, not sellers, define value.
- As professional salespeople, we can make a difference, not just a deal.
- If it is not a good deal for both of us, it is not a good deal for either of us.
- Serving is a privilege, not a pain.
- Trust is the currency of all good relationships.
- The sales force may sell the first one, but it is the total experience with a company that brings customers back.
- We must put our best work on display for the world to witness … every time!
- We sell value, not price.
- We strive to do more of that which adds value to our lives and less of that which adds little or no value to our lives.
In 1947, Peter Marshall, U.S. Senate Chaplain, delivered a prayer that has been often quoted and paraphrased, “Give to us clear vision that we may know where to stand and what to stand for – because unless we stand for something, we shall fall for anything.” Having a clear vision and knowing what you stand for is following your True North. What do you stand for? What guides you? What is your True North?